Exhibit On School To Open April 3
Mar 21, 2011 05:59PM
● By Anonymous
A new, major exhibit researched by the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society, Memories and Mementos, The History of Shady Side Schools from 1868 to 1978, will open Sunday, April 3, at 2 p.m. at the Captain Salem Avery Museum, 1418 EW Shady Side Road.
Beth Denniston is heading the project, and is being assisted by the Community Advisory Committee. Members of the Committee include Carl Graham, Mary Kitchen. Yvonne Matthews, Tyra Dunscomb, Elaine Catterton, Bobby Bast, Marge Calhoun, Carmelia Hicks, Jennifer Sturgell, Ann Widdifield, Jean Yvonne Johnson, and Susy Smith.
These Committee members, all volunteers, have met regularly for months, and have identified key figures—teachers, staff, and students—who are representative of the days when there were separate schools for black and white children until the opening of the new fully integrated elementary school. Their focus has been on arranging for oral history interviews of former students, and collecting mementoes related to the schools. Anyone having such items who is willing to loan them to the exhibit, is asked to call the Museum at 410 867 4486. Suggested items include toys, games, clothes, books, slates, lunchboxes, text books, report cards, newspaper clippings, or anything else pertaining to the schools.
The exhibit is free, and everyone in the community is invited to visit the Museum on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, check the Museum's web site at www.shadysidemuseum.org
Support for the exhibit has been provided by The Maryland Historical Trust through its Historical and Cultural Museum Assistance Program, The Maryland Humanities Council, and the Chaney Foundation, to whom the Society expresses its gratitude. The Captain’s Circle sponsors who have partnered with the Society on its many programs are BayVue Consulting, Inc., and Greenstreet Gardens.
Shady Side Rural Heritage Society
Contact: Mavis Daly 443-607-8277