Simple Spring Sweets
May 19, 2011 11:08PM ● Published by Anonymous
Ingrid Hoffmann’s Spring Dessert Tips
—Homemade ice cream is easier than you think. Make Caribbean Pineapple Lime Ice Cream in three simple steps with Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. Or create an artisan inspired ice cream flavor at home by combining spices like chipotle or cinnamon with lime zest, fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries and add to your ice cream mixture.
—Dessert bars are a great solution for easy entertaining. Spice up any table by preparing Tropical Dessert Bars and then top with smooth and creamy Dulce de Leche, which can easily be made by heating Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk on the stovetop or in the oven.
Caribbean Pineapple-Lime Ice Cream
Makes 12 servings
Ready in 4 hours
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in pineapple juice, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
1. Combine undrained pineapple, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime peel, vanilla and food coloring, if desired, in a large bowl; mix well.
2. Whip cream in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into pineapple mixture.
3. Pour into 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or 2-quart freezer-safe container. Cover; freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
Tropical Dessert Bars
Makes 3 dozen
Ready in 3 hours
- 1 (17.5-ounce) package sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
Cream Cheese Pineapple Layer
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained, reserving 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Line 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
2. STIR cookie mix and melted butter with fork until crumbs form. Press evenly in bottom of prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. BEAT cream cheese in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs just until blended. Beat in sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons pineapple juice. Pour over warm crust. Sprinkle drained pineapple evenly over top.
4. STIR coconut, macadamia nuts and butter in small bowl until evenly moistened. Sprinkle over pineapple layer.
5. BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set and coconut is lightly browned. Cool 1 hour on wire rack. Chill 1 hour. Cut into bars.