Santa Speedo Run
Dec 16, 2011 04:52PM
● By Anonymous
This Saturday, the 17th, marks fourth year of the annual Santa Speedo Run throughout downtown Annapolis. Forget the red suit, belt, and big boots. These Santas'll be dressed in their not-so-seasonal best. As per the event website's details, they're required to do the following:
- Wear a Speedo-like bathing suit. Holiday colors are preferred. And, "Please, no thongs! We know you have the body to pull it off, so why prove what's obvious?"
- Wear sneakers. The race consists of a one mile jog around City Dock, beginning and ending at O'Brien's.
- Wear a Santa hat, beard, stockings, and other holiday flair at their discretion. Judging by the photos, holiday flair has a wide interpretation.
- Bring a bag to put clothes in while running.
- Bring a copy of their registration email. The organization asked everyone to register prior to December 8th so that they could have a t-shirt available for all participants on race day. But, it looks like you might still be able to join—just don't expect a t-shirt on Saturday. One will be mailed to you.
- Wear their Speedos under their street clothes, so that they can get ready for the race at any time.
Now, even if you can't take part in the event, being a spectator might be just as fun, if not more. So, here's the day's schedule:
- Race check-in starts at noon, complete with pre-contest libations.
- At 1:30 p.m., participants will get into their gear, and file out into the parking lot.
- Fifteen minutes later, they'll run (or stroll) to the finish line, where the Rovers will be waiting to kick off the post race party at 2 p.m.
The Santa Speedo Run encourages participants and spectators alike to help make a child's Christmas a merry one by contributing to their Toys for Tots toy drive. They'll be accepting toys at books at O'Brien's starting at 11 a.m.
For more information on the Santa Speedo Run, visit their website.