Throwing A Super Bowl Party
Feb 01, 2012 07:59PM ● Published by Anonymous
But planning your menu is really only the tip of the iceberg. You've got to consider how to make your Super Bowl party one for the ages. The one by which all others will be judged.
Wondering how? Here are some tips:
- If you've got more than one, break out all your TVs. By setting a few up in separate rooms, you can let the serious football fans devote all their attention to the game in silence, and you can let those who are only there for the commercials are casual fans chatter and chomp away.
- Decorate! If you're a Giants or a Patriots fan, this is probably a no-brainer. But I'm not opposed to celebrating the Super Bowl that might have been. Love the Redskins or the Ravens? Throw on those jerseys, and support the home team.
- Feel like going for the extra point? Dress your pillows in team t-shirts or jerseys. Use fabric or spray paint to draw white yard lines onto a green plastic tablecloth for your snack table. Make your own signs and banners
- Grab some pads of paper, spare change, and small bills just in case any pools manifest. You never know when that declaration of, "Tom Brady's gonna get sacked on this one!" will turn into some bets. And, even if you're not willing to shell out cash, you can bet immaterial items like "beer delivered for the next hour," "premier seating," or "first dibs on the buffet."
- Set up a paper football table for the evening's lulls. The rules, regulations, and proper folding instructions can be found here.
- For the less football-inclined, it's always fun to make a leader board of commercials. Write down the top five, and swap them out as better ones come in. A white or chalk board could come in handy here.
- Don't skimp on the beverages. Stock up on different beers (think lagers, pale ales, wheats, and stouts), sodas, and diet-friendly drinks like water and iced tea. And, make sure they're all chilled beforehand.
- As a natural next step, buy lots of paper towels and napkins, or wash all your washcloths. Spills are imminent, so rug cleaner might be a good purchase too. And don't let anyone near anything you couldn't bear to see soiled.
- While you're being the responsible host, don't let your friends get out of hand. If you know cousin Bobby shouldn't drive himself home, keep him away from that wheel.
Feeling inspired? Then get out there and plan. And remember, this is probably the most casual party you'll ever throw, so relax!