MainStreets Annapolis Establishes Business Legacy Awards
Apr 23, 2012 05:10PM
● By Anonymous
As part of National Preservation Month, President Stephen Samaras has announced that the MainStreets Annapolis Partnership (MAP) will establish the MAP Business Legacy Awards. This inaugural event will honor businesses which have demonstrated an enduring commitment to serving residents and visitors and supporting the economic vitality of our neighborhood business districts.
The Legacy Awards recognize many aspects of these sustaining businesses including the commitment of the business owners to the stewardship of their properties, the rich family histories associated with these businesses, the generations of Annapolitans whose careers began with these local businesses, and the role of these businesses as ambassadors for Annapolis.
This year’s inaugural awards event will showcase those businesses in the traditional neighborhood serving business districts of Annapolis who have been in existence for more than 50 years. All qualifying businesses will receive an award.
Nominations are currently being solicited from business owners, patrons, residents and anyone interested in seeing their favorite Legacy Business recognized. All nominations must meet the following criteria:
1) Businesses must have been operating by the end of 1962 to qualify (so each business must be at least 50 years old)
2) Businesses must be located within or in close proximity to the boundaries of the traditional neighborhood business districts as defined by MAP (in general this includes the Downtown area, West Street from Church to Westgate circles, West Annapolis and Eastport)
3) Businesses may have changed ownership but may not have changed essential category of business. Location changes may be acceptable but the business must have retained the original name.
4) A separate entry form must be completed for each nomination. You may submit multiple entries.
5) MAP supports a green approach to nomination submission and encourages all submitters to send their nominations electronically via the MAP website. If a submitter does not have internet or email access, forms will be accepted if sent to the Main Streets Coordinator. Contact information is below.
6) The awards will be judged by a panel of historians, business owners, and residents and MAP Board members. The panel has the final authority to determine eligibility of the nominations submitted
To nominate a business, go to www.mainstreetsannapolis.org and click on Legacy Awards topic under the Events tab. You may also mail it to Lisa Craig / MainStreets Annapolis Partnership / 145 Gorman St., 3rd Floor / Annapolis, MD / 21401
Nominations must be received by MainStreets Annapolis Partnership by 4:00 p.m. on Friday May 4th. The awards ceremony is scheduled for May 31, 2012 at Historic Inns of Annapolis.
If you have questions or need more information please contact Lisa Craig at (410)263-7941