Father’s Day Fun
Jun 07, 2013 07:18PM
● By Anonymous
Does dad love sports and athletics? Of course he does. He certainly won’t be bored this weekend.
- The Baltimore Orioles take on the Boston Red Sox at Camden Yards for a four-game series beginning Thursday night and includes a Father’s Day matinee on Sunday at 1:35. The first 10,000 men 21 and over receive a Father's Day Travel Kit courtesy of the Orioles.
- The defending Major League Lacrosse Champion Chesapeake Bayhawks square off against the Denver Outlaws at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on Saturday night at 7 p.m. The Outlaws return some familiar faces from the University of Maryland (Former Bayhawk Lee Zink, Drew Snider, Jeremy Sieverts, and Landon Carr), Johns Hopkins (Jesse Schwartzman and Matt Bocklet) and UMBC (Brendan Mundorf).
- For the active dad, treat him to the Run Awake 5K for Achon Ugana Children’s Fund being held at Quiet Waters Park. This race raises money on behalf of the Achon Uganda Children's Fund (AUCF) to improve life in Northern Uganda.
For the gearhead dad, he’ll be thrilled with what the Eastern Shore has to offer.
- Kent Island High School is hosting the 16th Annual Father’s Day Car Show on Sunday from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. There will be vendors, food and live music from the band Flashback. Visit Kentislandcruisers.com or call 443-496-2887 for more details.
Also on the Eastern Shore is an event any boat enthusiast will love.
- All weekend, the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels will hold its 26th Annual Antique & Classic Boat Festival, the largest event of its kind in the mid-Atlantic region. There will be over 100 antique and classic boats, nautical flea market, maritime artists, food, live music and much more.
- The Annapolis Maritime Museum is holding its Boats of the Bay Exhibit, which will run through the end of the month. Artists include Lee Boynton, Steve Bleinberger, Carolyn Councell, Ardythe Jolliff, Nancy O'Brien, Carol Thomas, and Georgette Toews. The art on display is for sale and would make a good gift for any dad who appreciates the Chesapeake Bay and the vessels that travel it.
- You can also take dad out on the water as you cruise the Naval Academy and Annapolis Harbor by boat courtesy of Watermark.
If dad wants some music with some local flare, he’ll enjoy what Annapolis has to offer. There is no shortage of events and performances this weekend. Here is just a sampling of what you’ll hear musically around town.
- Thursday: Rock the Dock takes place at the Annapolis Maritime Museum and Jimi Haha and Bryan Ewald will be at Annapolis Smokehouse & Tavern.
- Friday: The Outlaws perform at Rams Head On Stage, Dirk Schwenk, 86 The Effort, Bumpin Uglies and Wise Eyes will be at The Whiskey, and the ATC Friday Night Summer Concert Series continues with the Hypnotic Panties at the Annapolis Towne Centre.
- Saturday: Bands in the Sand returns to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s Phillip Merrill Environmental Center, Thunderball performs at the Irish Channel in Gambrills, and Orlando Phillips will be at Two Rivers Steak & Fish House in Pasadena.
- Sunday: The Geckos perform at Rams Head Tavern, the University of Maryland Powerhouse All-Star Quintet with Chuck Redd will be at The Mainstay in Rock Hall, Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa will host its Rock the Dock Summer Music Series featuring Appaloosa, Rob Levit and Amy Shook will be at Galway Bay, and Eric Lindell & The Sunliners will be performing at Rams Head on Stage.