Your Mardi Gras Weekend Primer
Feb 27, 2014 11:46AM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
With Mardi Gras taking place this Tuesday, it’s only fair to prepare for the southern celebration of masks, gumbo, and dancing this weekend. The area is chock full of entertaining parties for good causes.
The Denton Volunteer Fire Company Hall will host its 21-and-up black-tie-optional 4th Annual Mardi Gras Masqued Ball Fundraiser on Saturday at 7 p.m. to benefit the Caroline County Council of Arts programs. The ball features Cajun-inspired food, a New Orleans style jazz band, a DJ, auctions, blackjack casino games and more.
Chester Gras will take place at The People’s Bank in Chestertown on Saturday at 3 p.m. with a parade, music, silent auction, kids activities, gumbo served by local restaurants and more. Proceeds will help provide backpacks with food for needy children.
There will be a Family Friendly Mardi Gras Masquerade Ball on Saturday at 6 p.m. at St. Andrew by the Bay in Annapolis. Mardi Gras traditions will come to life with traditional New Orleans cuisine, Kings cake, live music, dancing, performers, children's activities and the crowning of a Mardi Gras King and Queen.
Kermit Ruffins & The BBQ Swingers and the Pitchblack Brass Band will be taking the 2nd Annual Nolafunk Mardi Gras Ball Tour to Baltimore Sound Stage Saturday night. Ruffins, a New Orleans native, will add to the authenticity with his specialized passionate good-time jazz. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 day of show and $40 for the VIP package.
Pusser’s in Annapolis will host GumboFest, a gumbo tasting from some of the finest local chefs featuring live music. Proceeds will benefit the Friends of the Lighthouse.
Is Mardi Gras not your thing? Take a look at some non-holiday related events going on this weekend:
- The Eagles will be performing at Verizon Center Saturday night.
- The 1st Annual West County Restaurant Week kicks off Monday.
- The Maryland Home & Garden Show takes place at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium from Friday through Sunday.
- The Baltimore Convention Center will host the 5th Annual B’More Healthy Expo.
- Gold’s Gym in Marley Station Mall will host its 8th Annual Spin-A-Thon Event Saturday.
- The Upper Marlboro Train and Toy Show will take place at the Show Place Arena on Saturday and Sunday.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.