Get into the Swing of Spring
Apr 03, 2014 11:14AM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Jones headfirst - Photo courtesy of the Baltimore Orioles
Baseball Opening Week is considered by many an unofficial national holiday. Locally, it’s taken to another level. Oriole Park at Camden Yards provides the ambiance of trendsetting architecture accentuated by the B&O Warehouse along Eutaw Street, local establishments within walking distance and one-of-a-kind dining options. Nationals Park hosts a World Series contender, cherry blossom trees in left field set to bloom this time of year, giant 47-foot-by-101-foot video board and racing presidents.
The Baltimore Orioles began their season at home this week against the rival Boston Red Sox by splitting the first two games. The Washington Nationals opened their season with two wins against the New York Mets and make their home debut tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. against the Atlanta Braves, who many expect to be their top competition for the National League East title.
Down on the farm, the Orioles’ local minor league affiliates, the Bowie Baysox and Delmarva Shorebirds begin their seasons tonight. The Baysox take on the Harrisburg Senators, a Nationals affiliate, at Prince George’s Stadium tonight at 6:35 p.m. while the Shorebirds open on the road against the Asheville Tourists. The Shorebirds make their home debut against the Greensboro Grasshoppers on April 10th at Perdue Stadium.
Baseball not your thing?
Help contribute to the fight against multiple sclerosis during Walk MS 2014 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday with the charitable 5K walk. Walk MS is not only a health initiative, it’s a celebration for the progress made to assist the 6,000+ people in our community living with this life changing disease.
Be sure to check out other top events in the area. There is sure to be something to spark your interest.
- Avergan Foundation "Hush Hush Speakeasy" – Thursday, April 3rd, 7 p.m. at Crush Kitchen & Winehouse, Annapolis.
- Shakespeare’s Birthday Lecture 2014: Brian Cummings – Thursday, April 3rd, 7:30 p.m. at Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, D.C.
- Drafts and Laughs – Friday, April 4th, 6 p.m. at National Guard Armory, Annapolis.
- Mike Birbiglia Performs – Friday, April 4th, 8 p.m. at Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric, Baltimore.
- Annapolis Symphony Orchestra Presents: Regional Reflections – Friday, April 4th, Saturday, April 5th at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, Annapolis.
- Breakfast with the Penguins – Saturday, April 5th, 8:30 a.m. at The Maryland Zoo, Baltimore.
- Annapolis Book Festival – Saturday, April 5th, 10 a.m. at The Key School, Annapolis.
- 1st Annual Maryland Chicken Wing and Beer Festival – Saturday, April 5th, 12 p.m. at National Guard Armory, Annapolis.
- Londontowne Symphony Orchestra Presents: Puppets & Stars – Sunday, April 6th, 3 p.m. at South River High School, Edgewater.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.