Cinco de Mayo Weekend Entertainment
May 01, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Jake Russell
Enjoy yourself this Cinco de Mayo with special events going on near you this weekend (and Monday).
Annapolis Street will play host to the West Annapolis Cinco de Mayo Festival on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. where there will be Mexican food, Mexican beer, margaritas, local vendors, music, and more.
Enjoy live music, face painting, giveaways, food, drinks, craft beer and margaritas at Broadneck Grill’s Cinco de Mayo Tent Party on Monday from noon until close. Smokey Joe’s Grill in Chesapeake Beach will have their Cinco de Mayo Party on Monday with specials on Corona’s, margaritas, and tacos.
Alina Collins Maldonado will perform excerpts from her one woman show “Bag Lady Blues” in Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center in College Park on Sunday at 4 p.m. Performances from Quique Aviles and the Verny Varela Band will also be on tap.
Crabi Gras in Cambridge is putting on the 19th Annual Quatro de Mayo Fish Taco Fiesta on Sunday from 12-5 p.m. The event features – as the title states – fish tacos, other tacos and other scrumptious items. There will also be live music performed by Uncle Ward and D'Vibe & Conga. The event supports the nonprofit Cambridge Main Street and downtown renewal efforts.
Monday night musical acts from around the area on include: Rob Zombie at Rams Head Live, Sly 45 at The Federal House Bar and Grille, Ben Kweller at Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis Idol with Johnny Poulos at O’Brien’s Steakhouse, and Ozomatli at Rams Head Center Stage.
Some of the top weekend events, not necessarily related to Cinco de Mayo, include the Naptown barBAYq Festival, which takes place Saturday and Sunday and features barbeque contests, arts and crafts vendors, more than 40 bands playing on three stages and activities for kids and kids at heart. All proceeds benefit local children’s charities.
Annapolis will be celebrating May Day on Thursday with the highlight being the 58th Annual May Basket Competition when residents and businesses in the Historic District are encouraged to display flowers outside of their homes and businesses to be judged by about 20 volunteers from Garden Club of Old Annapolis Towne.
The 5th Annual Derby Day will take place on Saturday from 5-10 p.m. to benefit Maryland Therapeutic Riding in Crownsville. The event will consist of a live showing of the Kentucky Derby, mock betting, a hat contest, live and silent auctions, a buffet dinner, drinks, mint julep and a guest appearance by one of MTR's horses.
Bike for a cause at the 6th Annual Six Pillars Century Cycling Fundraiser on Saturday at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge to support Character Counts Mid-Shore, Inc., an agency that provides the Winners Walk Tall Program free of charge to over 8,000 students in the Talbot, Caroline and Dorchester County public schools.
Even more special events going on this weekend that you should check out:
- Historic London Town and Gardens Annual Spring Plant Sale – Friday, May 2nd, 4 p.m. at Historic London Town and Gardens, Edgewater.
- Cape St. Claire Escape the Cape 5K and Fun Run – Saturday, May 3rd, 7:30 a.m. at Cape St. Claire Elementary School, Annapolis.
- 9th Annual Galena Dogwood Festival – Saturday, May 3rd, 9 a.m. in Galena.
- Walk to Cure Arthritis Annapolis – Saturday, May 3rd, 9 a.m. at Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis.
- Earth Day – Saturday, May 3rd, 10 a.m. at Phillips Wharf Environmental Center, Tilghman.
- 3rd Annual Shore Kids Connection – Saturday, May 3rd, 11 a.m. at Kent Island High School, Stevensville.
- Taming of the Shrew – Saturday, May 3rd, 7 p.m. at South River High School, Edgewater.
- 24th Annual Walk and Run for the Animals – Sunday, May 4th, 9 a.m. at Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis.
- Fashion, Fun and Finance – Sunday, May 4th, 4 p.m. at Talbots, Annapolis.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.