Make Mother’s Day Memorable
May 08, 2014 12:02PM ● Published by Jake Russell
It’s that time of year again. The time to treat the woman who has taken care of you your whole life to a special day out on the town.
Whether you want to take mom to brunch, help spruce up her garden or take her out on the water, you can find your best options here.
Framers’ Vise Gallery in Severna Park will hold its 11th Annual Mother’s Day Art Event starting on Saturday at 10 a.m. and continuing through May 17th. Browse the gallery’s largest selection of original unframed artwork from more than 100 popular artists.
On Sunday at 5 p.m., the Baltimore Arena will host A Mother’s Love: The Show, a concert featuring performances from musical superstars Gladys Knight, Marvin Sapp, Tamela Mann, James Fortune, and Tasha Cobbs.
Spend some “Thyme with Mom” on Sunday at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary in Lothian where you can hike, bird watch and take in the scenery as well as make and take home your own pot of thyme.
Speaking of plants, take mom out to the William Paca House and Garden in Annapolis for their annual Garden Plant Sale, taking place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 12-4 p.m.
Hungry? Take mom out to Mother’s Day Brunch at the garden of Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie. The brunch seatings are at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets for adults are $35, $14 for children 5-12 and free for kids under 5. Mothers receive a free garden cocktail.
Enjoy a three-hour Mother’s Day Cruise from 3-6 p.m. on the Potomac River courtesy of Capital Yacht Charters. The cruise includes live music from The Ray Apollo Allen Band, a hearty buffet, coffee, tea and juices, and a cash bar to go along with the sights of Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Part of the proceeds will benefit First Book Prince George's County.
If mom loves baseball, there are some great options to choose from.
Want her to witness something rare like an NBA playoff game in D.C.? You’re in luck. The Washington Wizards will be playing the Indiana Pacers in Game 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday at 8 p.m.
If she’d rather experience something less pressure-packed, you can take her out to Camden Yards for a Sunday matinee to see the Baltimore Orioles take on the Houston Astros. The first 20,000 women 18 and older receive a free Mother’s Day cap.
The Delmarva Shorebirds, Baltimore’s Single A minor league affiliate, will host the Lakewood BlueClaws Sunday at 2:05 p.m. at Perdue Stadium. All mothers in attendance will have the chance to win prizes.
Here is some more weekend fun to enjoy:
- Twilight Garden Party: Women’s Housing Coalition’s Annual Fundraising Event – Thursday, May 8th, 6 p.m. at The Atrium at the Marbury Building, Baltimore.
- Chesapeake BaySavers Golf Tournament – Friday, May 9th, 9 a.m. at Queenstown Harbor Golf Course, Queenstown.
- Art Between the Creeks – Friday, May 9th, 11 a.m. at Backyard Boats, Annapolis.
- PVA Visual Arts and Film Showcase – Friday, May 9th, 6:30 p.m. at Chesapeake Arts Center, Brooklyn Park.
- Ride for the Feast Saturday, May 10th, 7 a.m. at Ocean City.
- 2nd Annual Shape Up Severna Park – Saturday, May 10th, 8 a.m. at Severna Park Community Center, Severna Park.
- Sudlersville Toy & Train Show – Saturday, May 10th, 9 a.m. at Sudlersville Volunteer Fire Company, Sudlersville.
- BLUSH Cancer Awareness Music & Arts Festival – Saturday, May 10th, 11 a.m. at The Greene Turtle, Annapolis.
- White Marlin Festival Crab Soup Cookoff – Saturday, May 10th, 12 p.m. at Ocean City.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.