Weekend Fun by Land, Air or Bay
Jun 05, 2014 02:46PM ● Published by Jake Russell
Spring Cotillion 2012
After such a cold winter, it’s been strange – a great kind of strange – getting used to this whole “perfect weekend weather” thing we’re experiencing. However, that doesn’t mean complacency should set in. This weekend won’t allow for it. Get out there and enjoy what the final weeks of spring have to offer.
The Annapolis Arts, Crafts & Wine Festival, held at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, will take place Saturday and Sunday and features arts and handmade crafts, continuous jazz, family activities, food, and tastings from over 25 Maryland Wineries. More than 200 juried works including photography, metal, mixed media, and jewelry from top artists and craftsmen will be on hand.
Known as the Eastport Yacht Club’s “block party,” the Spring Cotillion 2014 will take place Thursday at 5 p.m. and acts as the kickoff to the Annapolis to Bermuda Race. The “Outstanding Marine Wizard” awards will be presented to nominees working in the Annapolis marine industry recognized for their skills and accomplishments. The party will feature live music, food and beverages. Proceeds from this event benefit the EYC Foundation’s Scholarship Fund for Further Education in the Marine Trades.
The Annapolis Yacht Club will host the Don Backe Memorial CRAB Cup on Saturday and Sunday. The CRAB Cup consists of four races per day for disabled sailors along the Annapolis Harbor and the mouth of the Severn River. Prizes will be awarded to teams placing first through fourth place. The race honors the late founder of CRAB, who helped the disabled better enjoy accessible boating.
Kent Island Federation of Arts’ 5th Annual Gardens by the Sea Garden Tour, occurring 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, will highlight eight colorful gardens on Kent Island. Docents will help visitors identify specific flowers and trees at each garden.
For a fun day with planes and classic cars, head to Bay Bridge Airport in Stevensville for the 17th Annual Wings and Wheels for Sight on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. On display will be classic and upscale cars, trucks, motorcycles and airplanes. The event will have vendors, food, and lots of activities for all ages including helicopter rides over the Chesapeake Bay.
Check out some other awesome events going on this weekend:
- Festival Chamber Music Recital – Thursday, June 5th, 8 p.m. at Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, College Park.
- Evermay Chamber Music Festival – Thursday, June 5th, 8 p.m. at Evermay, Washington, D.C.
- 10th Annual Craig Walden Classic – Friday, June 6th, 10 a.m. at The Golf Club at South River, Edgewater.
- Washington Mystics vs. Indiana Fever – Friday, June 6th, 7 p.m. at Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
- Every Step Counts – Saturday, June 7th, 9:30 a.m. at Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold.
- 24th Annual Strawberry Festival – Saturday, June 7th, 10 a.m. at Benson-Hammond House Museum, Linthicum.
- Spain vs. El Salvador Men's Soccer – Saturday, June 7th, 4 p.m. at FedExField, Landover.
- D.C. United vs. Columbus Crew – Saturday, June 7th, 7 p.m. at FedExField, Landover.
- Waugh Chapel Towne Centre Saturday Night Summer Concert Series The Regal Beagles – Saturday, June 7th, 7 p.m. at Waugh Chapel Towne Centre, Gambrills.
- Londontowne Symphony Orchestra Presents: Grand Finale – Saturday, June 7th, 7:30 p.m. at Indian Creek School, Crownsville.
- Delmarva Shorebirds vs. Lakewood BlueClaws – Sunday, June 8th, 2:05 p.m. at Perdue Stadium, Salisbury.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.