Close Out Your Summer Seafood Style
Sep 04, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Jake Russell
It’s baaaack! The annual Maryland Seafood Festival is here to help us get ready for the end of summer the right way.
Located along the Chesapeake Bay at Sandy Point State Park, this all-around good time offers the best regional seafood and alcohol pairings.
Along with delicious seafood, the event prominently features live music, chef demonstrations, the popular wine row, crab soup cook-off, craft beer and oyster tastings, arts and craft vendors, crab derby race, skiff races, and crab cake eating contests.
Kids will be entertained by the interactive animal exhibits, moon bounce house, obstacle course, slide, and more.
The live music schedule includes five performances on Saturday and four on Sunday. The Saturday performers are Chesapeake Steel Drum Band (11:30 a..m-12:30 p.m.), Doug Segree (1–2:30 p.m.), Leaf Jumpers (3–4:30 p.m.), Shawn Owen Band (5–6:30 p.m.), Bad with Names (7–9 p.m.). The slated Sunday performers are Dan Haas Band (12-1 p.m.), The Shatners (1:30-3 p.m.), Chanssez (3:30-5 p.m.), and the Kelly Bell Band (5:30-7 p.m.).
Food will be provided by local establishments such as Caroline’s Gourmet Take it Away, Chip Stix, Dish & Design Catering, Jay Vending Seafood Pizza, Jimmy’s Famous Seafood, Kathy’s Mini Donuts, Kona Ice of Annapolis, Laughing Crab Catering, Mother’s Peninsula Grille, Phillips Seafood & Maryland Watermen Association, Red Hot & Blue, Stan & Joe’s Saloon, and many more.
The festival runs from 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. General admission tickets are $15 with senior (65+) and military tickets going for $10. Kids 12 and under are free. Individual VIP tickets are $65 and VIP couples tickets are $120.
Meanwhile, tonight from 6:30-8 p.m., St. Michaels’ Muskrat Park is hosting its final summer concert karaoke style. This concert gives you the chance to take the stage and sing your favorite hits. If you have stage fright, don’t worry. You can watch your friends and other guests “attempt” to belt out their top tunes.
Would you rather hear a trained band perform? Hot Buttered Nuggets will be performing as part of the Downs Park Bayside Summer Concert Series in Pasadena on Sunday from 4:30-6:30 p.m. With a name like Hot Buttered Nuggets, why would you not want to go see them?
If you’re not busy feasting on seafood, stop by some of these other weekend events:
- Marvel Universe LIVE – Thursday-Sunday at Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
- Euge Groove – Thursday, September 4, 8 p.m. at Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis.
- Chestertown's 1st Fridays – Friday, September 5, 5 p.m. at Downtown Chestertown.
- Run Awake 5K – Saturday, September 6, 8 a.m. at Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis.
- First Saturday Guided Walk – Saturday, September 6, 10 a.m. at Adkins Arboretum, Ridgely.
- Historic Odessa Brewfest – Saturday, September 6, 12 p.m.at Wilson-Warner House, Odessa, DE.
- Hugh and Zane Campbell - Special Film Presentation - Saturday, September 6, 8 p.m.at The Mainstay, Rock Hall.
- The Young Dubliners – Saturday, September 6, 8:30 p.m. at Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis.
- Grandparent’s Day Breakfast Buffet – Sunday, September 7, 8 a.m. at Rod 'N' Reel Restaurant, Chesapeake Beach.
- First Sunday Arts Festival – Sunday, September 7, 12 p.m. at Calvert and West Street, Annapolis.
To view more events occurring this weekend, please browse our online calendar. Be sure to also follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.