Sep 25, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Lisa Lewis
Participating in fundraising events is definitely a win-win situation: You raise money for important causes, and you derive a sense of personal satisfaction because you’re making a difference. Check out some of the major fundraisers taking place this weekend, and practice yoga—yes, yoga—walk, run, and have fun while supporting these worthy causes.
If you’re a yoga enthusiast, you’ll definitely want to participate in the 3rd Annual Wellness House Yogathon on Saturday at Wellness House of Annapolis. Practice 108 minutes of yoga to raise money for Wellness House cancer support programs. Why 108 minutes? There are 108 beads on a strand of every mala (or prayer necklace). No previous yoga experience is required.
Since space is limited, call in advance to avoid disappointment. Pre-registration is strongly recommended. Registration and check-in begin at 8:30 a.m.; practice is 9 a.m.-noon. Registration is $40. Bottled water, cool towels, and snacks are provided during and after the event.
Yoga “By the Numbers”
The word “yoga” means “to join or yoke together,” and it brings the body and mind together into one harmonious experience. Check out these other fun facts about yoga:
5,000+: number of years that the classical techniques of yoga date back.
3: number of main structures the system of yoga is built upon: exercise, breathing, and meditation.
1960s: decade that yoga became widely known in the United States—as part of the culture’s growing interest in Eastern philosophies.
--Source: American Yoga Association
Join the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) and raise money to cure blood cancers during the Light the Night Walk on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. at Park Place. This leisurely walk brings people together and gives them an opportunity to make a difference. Walk as an individual or as a team with your friends, family, and co-workers. Don’t miss this inspirational event. There is no fee to register.
Did You Know?
According to the Maryland Chapter of the LLS, last year Annapolis raised $131,000 during the Light the Night Walk. More than 600 people and 52 teams participated in the event. _________________________________________
If you love the great outdoors, you’re in luck. Love to run? Even better. Head to the Annapolis Run for The Light House on Sunday. Enjoy a half marathon or a 5K run along the scenic trails of Quiet Waters Park and through the beautiful Chesapeake Bay-front community of Hillsmere Shores. Hosted by The Friends of The Light House, all proceeds benefit The Light House in Annapolis.
“We are so grateful to The Friends of The Light House for the many events they host to help support the operations of The Light House,” says Elizabeth Kinney, executive director of The Light House. “The Run is such a great event, bringing people together for a great cause.” _________________________________________
Space is limited, and pre-registration is recommended. Registration is $90 for the half marathon and $50 for the 5K. The half marathon begins at 7:30 a.m.; the Joggin’ Joe Shafran Memorial 5K Run starts at 7:45 a.m. After the run, stay for the Awards & Post-Race Party, featuring race results, live music, food, beverages, and sponsor booths.
Enjoy a day with your family and friends and honor the memory of Kellie Thompson Shiley by participating in the Kellie Thompson Shiley 2nd Annual 5K & Family Fun Run on Sunday at Cross Island Trail Kent Island. Shiley was only 31 when she unexpectedly passed away after complications from giving birth to her twin daughters in July 2012. This event celebrates her competitive spirit and her love of physical fitness, family, and friends.
Pre-registration is $30. Registration on the day of the event begins at 8 a.m. and is $35. The 5K starts at 9 a.m.; the Fun Run/Walk begins at 9:15 a.m. Don’t miss the post-race celebration at the Jetty Restaurant & Dock Bar in Grasonville. Bring in your race bib, and get a FREE beer at The Jetty bar!
Check out some other exciting events taking place this weekend.
Annapolis/Anne Arundel County:
- Atlanta Rhythm Section – Thursday, September 25, 8 p.m. at Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis.
- Historic London Town and Gardens Fall Plant Sale – Saturday, September 27, 8 a.m. at Historic London Town and Gardens, Edgewater.
- Harbor City Music Company Show Chorus Presents “LOL” – Saturday, September 27, 7:30 p.m. at Chesapeake Arts Center, Brooklyn Park.
- Homestead Gardens Annual Fall Festival – Saturday, September 27 and Sunday, September 28, 11 a.m. at Homestead Gardens, Davidsonville.
- Downs Park Bayside Summer Concert Series – Appaloossa – Sunday, September 28, 4:30 p.m. at Downs Park, Pasadena.
- Kent Island Farmers’ Market – Thursday, September 25, 3:30 p.m. at Christ Church, Stevensville.
- Blackwater Distillery Tour – Friday, September 26, 11 a.m. at Blackwater Distillery, Stevensville.
- PAINTBRUSH PARTY: An Artistic Night Out – Friday, September 26, 6 p.m. at Queen Anne’s County Centre for the Arts, Centreville.
- Plein Air – Summer Reflections – Saturday, September 27, 1 p.m. at Kent Island Federation of Art, Stevensville.
- Carvers at the Crossroads Waterfowling Exhibit – Sunday, September 28, 9 a.m. at Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St. Michaels.
- Washington Nationals vs. New York Mets – Thursday, September 25, 7:05 p.m. at Nationals Park, Washington, D.C.
- 6th Annual Marian House Race to Embrace Independence 5K Run and Walk – Saturday, September 27, 9 a.m. at Lake Montebello, Baltimore.
- The Shindig Music Festival – Saturday, September 27, 12:30 p.m. at Carroll Park, Baltimore.
To view more events taking place this weekend, please browse our online calendar. And be sure to follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.