United States Powerboat Show Opens This Weekend
Oct 16, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Lisa Lewis
If you’ve been looking forward to the return of the powerboat show since last October, the good news is the wait is finally over. The 43rd United States Powerboat Show kicks off on Thursday at Annapolis City Dock and runs through Sunday. And when you see all of the special exhibits and displays—as well as the exciting new features—you’ll realize that the world’s oldest in-water powerboat show is definitely worth the wait.
This spectacular event offers all you expect from a boat show and more. Check out just a few of the highlights:
- Premiering Boats – New designs and models of powerboats make their debut.
- Manufacturers and Brokers – Exhibits include everything from luxurious motor and ocean-going yachts and trawlers to high-performance powerboats and offshore fishing machines.
- On-Land Exhibitors – The latest in navigational equipment and a wide selection of marine equipment, high-tech electronics, boating accessories, clothing, and gear are featured as well as related services, including boating schools, rentals, insurance firms, lending institutions, and charter companies.
- Brokerage Cove – “A show within a show,” Brokerage Cove features previously owned boats, which are presented by regional boat brokers and available for immediate sale.
- VIP Preview Party on Pussers Upper Deck – Celebrate opening day at the VIP Preview Party on Pussers Upper Deck from 6-8 p.m.
NEW THIS YEAR:
- The Luxury Pavilion – Developed for the discriminating boater, this new section features magnificent yachts as well as high-end products from major companies.
- Sea Trials – For the first time, brokers and manufacturers conduct sea trials from inside the boat show at easy-to-access demonstration docks.
And that’s not all. The powerboat show also features free seminars, a grand prize drawing, and much more. This spectacular show is definitely more than a boat show; it’s a celebration for all powerboat enthusiasts.
Show times are Thursday – VIP Preview Day, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
General admission is $18. Admission for children is $5; children 6 and under are admitted free. Two-day general admission is $31. Or take advantage of special VIP admission prices. VIP Preview Day admission is $35, and admission for VIP Preview Day plus an additional day is $48.
Last year, the United States Powerboat Show closed with the highest attendance figures in five years.
Exhibitors noted more genuine interest from buyers than in previous years. Combined factors, including sales, crowds, consumer interest, and a growing number of first-time boat buyers, seemed to indicate that the powerboat industry is recovering after the 2008 recession.
Source: Annapolis Boat Shows
Do you love oysters? What about oysters with hot sauce? If the mere thought makes your mouth water, you definitely won’t want to miss the 4th Annual Hot Sauce & Oyster Festival on Saturday from 1-8 p.m. and Sunday from noon-5 p.m. at Cannery Way Park in downtown Cambridge.
Obviously, oysters are the main attraction at this festival, and they’re prepared however you like them—raw, fried, fritters, oyster tacos, oyster stew—you name it. Plus, there are more than 100 hot sauces available for sampling. The event also features music, libations, and other tasty treats, including hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, and more.
Organized by Crabi Gras, festival tickets are $5. Come celebrate the Eastern Shore’s oyster heritage.
*Fun Facts about Oysters
- Oysters are meatier in months that have an “r” in their names. So you may hear people call them “arsters.”
- Eating four oysters a day gives you a complete daily supply of copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
- Oysters are rich in vitamins A, C, D, and B-12.
- The same type of oyster tastes different depending on where it was raised.
Source: Oyster Recovery Partnership
What does the month of October have in common with a bear? OktoBEARfest, of course! A fun twist on Oktoberfest, the 3rd Annual OktoBEARfest takes place on Saturday from noon-4 p.m. at the Waterfowl Lake Pavilion at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. This fall beer festival, which is held in conjunction with Baltimore Beer Week, features a variety of seasonal ales, Oktoberfest-inspired foods, and live music.
Tickets range from $15-$50. Buy your tickets in advance and save. Advance tickets may be purchased until Friday. Don’t miss this unique Oktoberfest celebration.
*The Origin of Oktoberfest
Oktoberfest is a popular celebration in the United States. But do you know how it originated?
On October 12, 1810, Bavarian Crown Prince Louis, later King Louis I of Bavaria, married Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The Bavarian royalty invited the citizens of Munich to attend the festivities. The decision to repeat the festivities the following year led to the tradition of an annual Oktoberfest. The festival inspired similar events, and today Oktoberfest is celebrated all around the world.
Check out some other exciting events taking place this weekend:
Annapolis/Anne Arundel County:
- Art and Story Time – Friday, October 17, 10:30 a.m. at Chesapeake Children’s Museum, Annapolis.
- The Best of Rufus Wainwright – Saturday, October 18, 8 p.m. at Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis.
- Haunted Pub Crawl – Saturday, October 18, 9 p.m. at The Maryland Inn, Annapolis.
- Maryland Therapeutic Riding Fall Horse Show – Sunday, October 19, 9 a.m. at Maryland Therapeutic Riding, Crownsville.
- Crofton History: Images and Reflections – Sunday, October 19, 2 p.m. at Crofton Community Library, Crofton.
- The Printer’s Mark – Friday, October 17, 10 a.m. at Kent Island Federation of Art, Stevensville.
- Fall into St. Michaels – Saturday, October 18, 10 a.m. at the city of St. Michaels.
- Sail on Skipjack Nathan of Dorchester – Saturday, October 18, 1 p.m. at Long Wharf, Cambridge.
- Galena’s Autumn Fest – Saturday, October 18, 1 p.m. at the town of Galena.
- The DuPont Brothers – Saturday, October 18, 8 p.m. at Avalon Theatre, Easton.
- I LOVE LUCY® LIVE ON STAGE – Thursday, October 16, 8 p.m. at The Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore.
- Washington Wizards vs. Charlotte Hornets – Friday, October 17, 7 p.m. at Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
- Rocky Horror Show – Saturday, October 18, 8 p.m. at Spotlighters Theatre, Baltimore.
To view more events taking place this weekend, please browse our online calendar. And be sure to follow What’s Up? on Twitter and like us on Facebook.