Drink of the Week: Pumpkin Beer Martini
Oct 22, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Fall means the changing color of the leaves, sweaters and scarves, and oh yes—pumpkin beer! Like fall itself, the presence of pumpkin beer is fleeting and never enough. Enjoy pumpkin beer while you can in an unexpected and sophisticated way with this week’s pumpkin beer martini. Don’t let the appearance fool you, this is a booze heavy drink, but smooth enough to let you forget it. Have a fall party to throw? This drink is the perfect choice. The rum, whiskey, and balsamic vinegar proportions can easily be multiplied to fit any party size and can be stored ahead of time. You could even go so far as to use it in a punch bowl.
But wait a second, there’s balsamic vinegar in this drink? Think of it as the more serious sister to the pumpkin spice latte. Only a little balsamic vinegar is needed, but it goes a long way to round out the base of this martini. The four ingredients of this drink pack in a lot of flavor: vanilla and spice from the rum, light caramel from the whiskey, espresso and coffee from the vinegar, and of course, pumpkin from the beer. Everything blends together to be finished perfectly by the brown sugar and cinnamon rim. Experiment with different kinds of pumpkin beer and find your favorite combination!
Ingredients – Serves 1
- ¾ ounce Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum
- ¾ ounce Crown Royal
- 1 teaspoon espresso balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces pumpkin beer (Schlafly’s is recommended, but may not be as accessible)
- Organic brown sugar and cinnamon for rim (add pumpkin spice if desired)
1. Rim martini glass (half or full) with spices, if desired.
2. Shake the rum, whiskey, and vinegar over ice and pour into martini glass.
3. Top with pumpkin beer (you can use more or less, but this amount provides the best balance).
By Rhea Torreon