Dec 03, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Use the rest of those creamy mashed potatoes as the perfect topping to these cottage pies. Cook up some ground beef, throw in some frozen peas and carrots, and your hearty meal is ready. If you’re feeling experimental, try a “leftover pie” and throw in everything else from the Thanksgiving meal. Layer in some sweet potato casserole, or even some of that honeyed ham. Feed the whole family an easy and delicious dinner, and reclaim some space in your fridge with this great recipe.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots
1. Heat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, 15- 18 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the milk, butter, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and mash to the desired consistency.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Fold in the peas and carrots.
3. Transfer the beef mixture to 4 individual baking dishes and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Adapted from: “Easy Shrimp Bisque.” Real Simple dinner tonight: done! Time Home Entertainment Inc. 2011. Print.