The Big Pancake with Warm Berry Compote and Whipped Cream
Dec 31, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Impress your friends and family with this beautiful yet easy to make dish. It’s the best of two worlds; think pancake meets crepe. That means the pairing possibilities are endless (i.e., are you feeling savory or sweet?). I had a sweet tooth craving and went with an equally easy to make warm berry compote and homemade whipped cream. If you’re not into the sweet stuff, the original recipe calls for the pancake to simply be topped with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar. Just be careful to use a big enough pie plate or skillet to bake it i. The first skillet I used was too small and I ended up with an enormously flat, heavy pancake. The results were perfect with the second larger skillet and the resulting pancake was so huge that my boyfriend and I couldn’t finish it!
The Big Pancake
Ingredients – Makes 1 (can feed at least 2)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Put butter in a 9”-10” pie plate or ovenproof skillet. Place in oven; remove once butter melts.
3. Whisk together next 6 ingredients; pour into hot skillet. Immediately return to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until puffy and evenly browned on the outside.
4. Top with warm berry compote and whipped cream. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Adapted from: “The Big Pancake.” The Best Recipes from Bon Appétit and Gourmet: Holiday Entertaining. Bon Appétit March 2014. Conde Nast. New York 2014. Print.
Warm Berry Compote
Ingredients – Makes 4 Servings
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
1. In a large, nonreactive sauté pan over medium heat, combine the sugar and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice, and salt. Return to a boil, add the butter, and swirl the mixture in the pan until the butter melts.
Jacobi, Dana. “Warm Berry Compote.” Good for You: Easy, Healthy Recipes for Every Day.” Weldon Owen, Inc. and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. California: San Francisco, 2013: Print.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Ingredients – Makes 2 Cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat the cream in a bowl until it becomes frothy.
2. Add the sugar and vanilla. Continue beating the mixture until the cream holds soft peaks, but do not over beat.
3. Refrigerate the cream, covered with plastic wrap, for no more than an hour if not using immediately.
“Sweetened Whipped Cream.” Parade. 19 Dec 2014. Web. Nov 2002.