Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon Beurre Blanc and Parmesan Baked Asparagus
Dec 31, 2014 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This lemon Beurre blanc is so rich and tasty I could put it on just about anything! It’s heavenly on scallops and even makes a great sauce for the baked asparagus. Beurre blanc sauces are notoriously time-consuming, but it’s worth the extra effort. Once you have the sauce taken care of (it makes the whole dish), the scallops and asparagus are a breeze. I didn’t have white pepper on hand, but black pepper worked just fine. Tip: Make sure to pat the scallops dry beforehand, and cook them on a very hot skillet to get that nice golden crust. I tend to heat a little less oil for the scallops than what’s called for; if there’s too much liquid in the pan the crust won’t develop.
Ingredients – Makes 6 first-course or 4 main-course servings
- ¾ cup water
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, but into tablespoon-size pieces
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds sea scallops
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Fresh lemon juice
1. Boil first three ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to ¼ cup, about 10 minutes.
2. Add cream; reduce heat to low. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking until just melted before adding more.
3. Strain sauce, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
4. Return sauce to pan. Season with salt and white pepper. Place pan in skillet of warm water.
5. Sprinkle scallops with salt and white pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
6. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook until golden brown and just opaque in center, about 1-½ minutes per side. Divide scallops among plates. Top with sauce and chives.
Adapted from: “Pan Seared Scallops with Beurre Blanc Sauce.” Bon Appétit. 19 Dec 2014. Web. Oct 2002. www.epicurious.com
Parmesan Baked Asparagus
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 pounds of asparagus spears, trimmed
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Beat eggs in a large rectangular container until blended.
3. Dip asparagus in egg. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place asparagus evenly on it.
4. Top asparagus with breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.