Drink of the Week
Jan 14, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
The beautiful hue of this drink can only mean good things and there are indeed powerful health benefits in this simple looking beverage; Ardestani states, “Morning tonic hydrates, aids digestion, support colon health, makes the skin glow, and boots the metabolism”. A couple quick additions to that list include anti-inflammatory properties, removal of toxins, and an immune system boost. You might remember Ardestani from the Turkey Day Leftover column, in which I discussed her user-friendly and informative vegan/gluten-free iPhone app My Eclectic Kitchen. You can find the health benefits of each of the tonic’s ingredient described in further detail in the app. Sometimes I add a little ground ginger or cardamom if I’m feeling experimental. The morning tonic can be bitter so it helps to add a sweetener of your preference. I use a little honey or agave while Ardestani uses a few drops of liquid stevia. Warm up your mornings with this healthful tonic and start your day off with the right.
Ingredients – Makes 1
- 1 cup filtered water
- ¼- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-2 shakes of cayenne pepper
1. In a kettle or small saucepot, bring filtered water to almost a boil.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and wait 2-3 minutes for water to cool a little. It is important to wait because very hot water will destroy the enzymes and vitamins in the lemon juice.
3. Pour into a mug and add lemon juice, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
4. Stir well and enjoy!
Ardestani, Yvonne. “Morning Tonic.” My Eclectic Kitchen. iPhone app. Apple app store. My Eclectic Kitchen, 9 January 2015. Web. 2014.