Jan 21, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This meal is fresh, fast, and cheap. It has the wonderful condition of cooking with beer, which means an easy drink pairing for when you sit down. This dish does not require the cooking time that the chicken adobo does, and is only slightly more involved for the prep work. The flavors are my favorite thing about this soup, especially the fresh lime and cilantro added at the table. Accordingly, I made sure to have plenty of fresh lime wedges and cilantro leaves for serving and leftovers. The radishes add a great crunchy texture while the hominy provides the bulk. I added this week’s spices of the week for a little smokiness and extra kick. I also added chunks of ripe avocado, which lends a nice creamy texture to each bite. Don’t forget to pick up your favorite Mexican beer!
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup beer
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 1 (28-ounce) can hominy, drained
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- Avocado, diced (optional)
1. Head a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil; swirl to coat. Add pork; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove pork from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return pork to pan; stir in cumin and red pepper. Add beer; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 9 minutes).
2. Add chicken stock, salsa verde, and hominy; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until pork is very tender, stirring occasionally. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves and 1 sliced radish. Serve with lime wedges.
“Pork Posole.” Cooking Light: All-Time Top-Rated Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group 2014. Print.