Roasted Salmon with Avocado and Grapefruit Salsa
Mar 04, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This dish is rich and tangy, and supremely satisfying. I almost always opt for wild caught salmon, but for the sake of a thicker fillet I used sustainably farmed salmon instead. Be sure to work over a bowl to collect as much grapefruit juice as possible when separating the segments from the membrane. The recipe notes that the ancho chile powder, found in the spice aisle of most common grocery stores, provides the rich flavor of anchos without the hassle of roasting the chiles. It also suggests rice pilaf or coleslaw as a side, although I found the salmon and salsa more than filling on it’s own. If I were serving guests I might add a side of couscous or brown rice. I added a light drizzle of blood orange infused premium olive oil from Season’s Olive Oil and Vinegar Taproom for a little extra flare. In lieu of meat get your healthy fats and protein from salmon (with some added help from avocado) in this nutrition-dense and flavorful meal.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- ¾ lb. wild salmon fillet, 1 ½ inches thick
- Olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Ancho chile powder
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- ½ large jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. In a small baking pan, place the fish. Brush on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and ancho chile powder. Place in the oven and roast until almost opaque in the center, about 18 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife cut off the peel and all of the white pith from all around the grapefruit. Working over a small bowl, use the knife to cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments into the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl. Remove the grapefruit segments from the bowl and cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces; return to the bowl. Gently mix in the avocado, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season the salsa to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Cut the fish in half and divide between 2 warmed plates. Spoon the salsa over the top and serve right away.
Kidd, Kristine. “Roasted Salmon with Avocado and Grapefruit Salsa.” Weeknight Fresh + Fast: Simple, Healthy Meals for Every Night of the Week. Weldon Owen, Inc. and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. 2011. Print.