Salad of the Week: Mixed Lettuce, Pear, and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Dressing
Mar 18, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Don’t let the simplicity of this salad fool you, it’s packed with flavor and only takes 10 minutes to make! A combination of sweet baby lettuces, Bibb lettuce, and (I opted for) watercress sets the scene for a delicious harmony of sweet and tart dressing. Fresh orange juice and Myer lemon are mellowed out with shallots and a touch of mustard, which melds perfectly with the sharpness of goat cheese. Sliced pears add another dimension of juicy sweetness. This salad leaves plenty of room to get creative, try adding shrimp or a maybe some marinated fish.
Ingredients – Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons fresh Myer lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 firm ripe Bosc pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces
- 1 heat Boston or butter lettuce, torn (about 2 cups)
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese (about ¾ cup)
1. To prepare dressing, combine shallots and mustard in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in ¼ cup orange juice and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
2. To prepare salad, combine 2 tablespoons orange juice and pears, tossing to coat. Combine lettuces in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently coat. Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture on each of 8 salad plates. Top each serving with about ¼ cup pear and 1 ½ tablespoons cheese.
“Mixed Lettuce, Pear, and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Dressing.” The Best of Cooking Light 2015 Edition: 97 All-Time Top-Rated Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2014. Print.