“Belly Teaser” from Tin Shed Garden Cafe
Apr 01, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This dish is the perfect way to ease into your mornings. I love how soothing and gentle it is on the digestive system. It also happens to be satisfying in the only way a comfort food can be. Warm coconut milk-infused jasmine rice has a delicious texture and subtle sweetness. Bananas and toasted hazelnuts are the perfect toppings. The recipe I found on Epicurious.com uses brown rice and jam instead of jasmine rice and bananas. Get creative and use your favorite grains and fruits. This dish has all the fortifying components to help you face whatever the day has in store, maybe even for those Monday blues!
Recipe: “Brown Rice Porridge with Hazelnuts and Jam”
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1/3 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup jam (such as plum, apricot, or peach)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. Combine almond milk, rice, sugar, salt, and 4 cups water in a large saucepan; scrape in vanilla seeds and add pod. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is very tender and mixture resembles loose rice pudding or oatmeal, 60-70 minutes. Remove vanilla pod. Serve porridge topped with jam and hazelnuts.
Koslow, Jessica. “Brown Rice Porridge with Hazelnuts and Jam.” Epicurious.com. Bon Appétit. 30 March 2015. Web. June 2014. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/brown-rice-porridge-with-hazelnuts-and-jam-51236270