“Biscuits & Mushroom Gravy” from Genie’s Cafe
Apr 01, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Calling all vegetarians: this is the perfect home-style comfort dish for you. Genie’s Café is known for their biscuits and gravy, and I just love this tasty vegetarian-friendly option. I loved it so much that I had to find a recipe to imitate it. The recipe I provide from Epicurious.com calls for tube refrigerator biscuits, but I think we all can agree that biscuits made from scratch are more than worth a little extra work. You can find tons of quick and easy biscuit recipes online or on Epicurious.com.
Recipe: “Home-style Biscuits and Shiitake Mushroom Gravy”
Ingredients – Makes 2 Servings
- 1 5-ounce tube of 3-inch-diameter refrigerator biscuits
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira
1. Preheat oven and bake biscuits according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown and soft, about 6 minutes. Add flour and thyme and stir 1 minute. Whisk in broth, then Madeira. Boil until mixture thickens to gravy consistency, whisking occasionally, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Split or cut open 4 biscuits (save remaining biscuit for another time; can be reheated). Place 4 biscuit halves on each of 2 plates. Spoon gravy over.
“Home-Style Biscuits and Shiitake Mushroom Gravy.” Epicurious.com. Bon Appétit. 30 March 2015. Web. Feb 1998. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/home-style-biscuits-with-shiitake-mushroom-gravy-4982