Roasted Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts
Apr 08, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This dish is great for a special occasion and is easy on the wallet strings. Garlic and thyme make a fresh and flavorful rub for the chicken. This rub does wonders tucked in between the skin and meat of the chicken thigh. Fresh lemon wedges work their way into the chicken as it bakes for another layer of subtle flavor. A simple sauce of white wine, browned pan bits (from the chicken), and a touch of butter provide a superb flavor boost to every bite. This recipe can easily be doubled to feed the whole family and then some.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Loosen skin on thighs by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken thighs to pan, skin side down; cook 4 minutes. Turn thighs over; top with lemon wedges. Place pan in oven; bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until done. Remove chicken and lemon from pan; discard lemon. Discard drippings (do not wipe out pan). Return pan to medium-high heat. Add wine; cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove pan from heat; add butter, swirling until butter melts.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Brussels sprouts; cook 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broth to pan; cover and cook 2 minutes. Place 1 chicken thigh on each of 4 plates; serve with 1 cup Brussels sprouts and 2 tablespoons sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.
“Roasted Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts.” Cooking Light: All-Time Top-Rated Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group 2014. Print.