Sausage & Kale Soup
Apr 08, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This soup is the perfect comfort food to carry you through April’s showers. Fortifying kale, potatoes, and onions come together in a simple yet satisfying broth. For a little more variety add cannellini beans and/or tomatoes. You can even give your favorite spices a try. I used A.A. Bosari salt (original) found at Whole Foods and La Boite Ararat N.35 found online. Serve it with a slice of your favorite rustic bread or a nice sourdough. For a vegetarian version opt for the vegetable broth and substitute extra veggies like carrots and celery in place of the sausage.
Ingredients – Serves 4-6
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ lb. kielbasa or other cooked sausage, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1. In a large, heavy pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until golden, 5-7 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
2. Working in batched, coarsely puree the soup in a blender, leaving some potato slices intact. Return to the pot, add the sausage, cover and simmer over medium heat until the sausage is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, uncovered, until wilted but still bright green, 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
“Sausage & Kale Soup.” Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year. Weldon Owen, Inc. 2011. Print.