Seared Salmon with Sweet Corn and Bacon Sauté
Apr 15, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This easy 20-minute dish has me ready for the summer! A sauté of sweet corn and bacon combine with shallots, white wine, green onions, and a touch of sherry vinegar. The result is a delicious and lively backdrop for rich, wild salmon. I went with a sweet and savory approach and used “super sweet bicolor frozen corn” and apple cinnamon bacon (from Whole Foods). I can’t wait to make this dish again when grilling season is in full swing. Whole Foods has an array of frozen corn options, including a fire-roasted corn that would be lovely in lieu of having to grill corn. I loved all the flavors as is while my boyfriend incorporated his favorite BBQ sauce into the dish and loved it.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 (6-ounce) center-cut salmon fillets, skinned
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add shallot and white parts of onions; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in vinegar, corn, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in green parts of onions.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle fillets with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add fillets to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Divide corn mixture among 4 plates; top with fillets. Sprinkle thyme evenly over fillets.
“Seared Salmon with Sweet Corn and Bacon Sauté.” Cooking Light: Classic Recipe Makeovers, 95 Favorites Made Healthy. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.