Salad of the Week: Fizz Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dressing and Beets
Apr 15, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Fizz Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dressing and Beets
I don’t know about you, but just the thought of warm bacon dressing makes my mouth water. If this is the case, then you’re in for a treat. This salad dressing is a sinfully tasty mixture of chopped bacon, cream, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and a touch of red wine vinegar. It mingles with a bed of kale and beautifully roasted beets for a decadent yet nourishing meal. This dish only requires 20 minutes of hands-on time, but be sure to leave yourself an hour to roast the garlic and beets. The recipe calls for fizz kale for it’s cabbage-like texture, but it’s somewhat hard to find (read: not available at Whole Foods) so I used a baby kale instead. I love the salad as is, but I drool about the possibilities of goat cheese and walnuts.
- 1 whole garlic head
- 6 ounces baby yellow beets
- 6 ounces baby red beets
- 6 ounces baby striped beets (such as Chioggia)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Fizz kale, torn
- 4 cups Lacinato kale, torn
- 1 thick applewood-smoked bacon slice, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves). Wrap head in foil. Arrange yellow beets on a large sheet of foil; wrap tightly. Repeat procedure with red and striped beets. Bake garlic and beets at 350° for 1 hour or until beets are tender; cool 10 minutes. Separate garlic cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp, oil, and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place kale in a large bowl.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add bacon. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high. Stir in garlic mixture; remove from heat. Pour hot bacon mixture over kale, tossing to coat.
4. Peel beets; discard skins. Cut beets in half. Arrange over kale mixture.
“Fizz Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dressing and Beets.” Cooking Light:97 All-Time Top-Rated Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group 2014. Print.