Drink of the Week: Better with Bacon
Apr 15, 2015 04:00PM
● By Cate Reynolds
Better with BaconRhea’s Rundown
Need something to make with all that leftover bacon (that is, if it didn’t get gobbled up already), or maybe just an excuse to treat yourself to a little whiskey with a gourmet twist? This drink has you covered and the name says it all. Use your favorite rye whiskey and add a little fresh lime juice, simple syrup, bacon, and liquid smoke for a sensationally savory cocktail with a hint of sweetness. Liquid smoke is not available at common grocery stores so if you really want that added depth of flavor leave yourself some time to order it online. However, it’s perfectly tasty with or without it!
Ingredients – Makes 1
- 2 slices crispy bacon, divided
- 1 shot rye
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 3 drops liquid smoke (use an eye dropper, not the shaker top on the bottle)
1. Crumble a piece of bacon and place it in a pint glass of a Boston shaker. Add the rye, lime juice, simple syrup, and liquid smoke. All the mixture to sit of about 10 minutes then strain through a paper towel into a cocktail shaker 2/3 filled with ice.
2. Discard solids. Cover and shake vigorously. Using a Hawthorn strainer, double-strain the cocktail through a wire-mesh sieve into a chilled cocktail glass. Lay the remaining bacon slice across the top of the glass to nibble on.
Henry, Greg. “Better with Bacon.” Savory Cocktails. Ulysses Press. 2013. Print.