Cream of Asparagus Soup
Apr 22, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Get your serving of veggies while enjoying a luxuriously rich flavor that’s achieved without any cream (aside from the optional crème fraiche or sour cream for garnish). A mixture of leeks, asparagus, potato, and chicken broth blend together for a deliciously smooth base. Asparagus tips lightly blanched in water and fresh lemon juice add a little texture with a subtle hint of lemon. I bring out this flavor further with some added lemon zest. The chicken broth used in this dish is not technically in keeping with the vegetarian theme. If you’re sticking to the books substitute vegetable broth. Don’t forget to store your asparagus properly to keep them fresher, longer. Check out the Kitchen Tip of the Week from the It’s A Celebration column.
Ingredients – Serves 4-6
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 2-inch pieces, tips reserved
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and ground white pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoon crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
1. In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus stalks and potato and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the lemon juice and reserved asparagus tips and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and get cool slightly.
3. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat over low heat. Serve, garnished with the crème fraiche, asparagus tips, and chives.
McMillan, Kate. “Cream of Asparagus Soup.” Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year. Weldon Owen, Inc. 2011. Print.