All the Fixings
Apr 29, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Every good taco setup should come with salsa, guacamole, and Mexican creme, alongside the fresh lime wedges and Cholula. These accompaniments take virtually no time at all to make and will give your tacos that extra boost of flavor you’re looking for.
Any taco can be made better with fresh, handmade guacamole. Whip (or mash) this guacamole up in just 10 minutes. It’s the perfect salty sweet combination for your taco needs or on its own with tortilla chips
Ingredients – Serves 8
- ¾ cup diced peeled mango
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 firm ripe peeled avocados, diced
- ½ finely chopped seeded serrano chile
- 48 tortilla chips
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to combine. Serve guacamole with tortilla chips.
“Mango Guacamole.” Cooking Light: Super Fast! Every Recipe in 25 Minutes or Less. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.
This Mexican staple is ideal for cutting down on any spicy elements in a dish. There are a few variations of how to make Mexican crema, but I chose this recipe based on what I had on hand. You can also add things like fresh lime juice, lime zest, chipotle seasoning, and adobo seasoning.
Ingredients – Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set it out at room temperature for three hours.
2. Transfer to a serving bowl if using right away, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate if storing.
*Note: When purchasing sour cream, pay attention to the expiration date. The crema can be made and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for as long as the sour cream would last. Bring the crema to room temperature before serving.
Castro, Lourdes. “Mexican Crema.” Simply Mexican. Ten Speed Press. April 2009 Epicurious.com. 24 April 2015. Web. Oct 2009. http://bit.ly/1DDEEK6
Quick pickles are fun and delicious way to make pickles out of your favorite vegetables. They’re great for an on-the-go snack. Try them on your tacos for some extra crunch and vinegary flavor. I substituted some of the carrots in this recipe for beets, daikon, cucumbers, and radishes, but there are many other pickling possibilities. You can also try adding other spices and herbs to the vinegar.
Ingredients – Makes about 2 ½ cups
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into 1/8-inch-thick coins
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1. Place carrots in a heatproof resealable container or jar. Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and ½ cup water in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from heat and let cool until about room temperature. Pour liquid into container or jar and let soak for 30 minutes. Strain vegetables from liquid and serve.
Stockwell, Anna. “Quick-Pickled Carrots.” Epicurious. 24 April 2015. Web. April 2015. http://bit.ly/1A6Gt0F
Pineapple Salsa (not pictured)
This salsa is delicious on shrimp or fish, or even by itself with your favorite tortilla chips. Pre-cut pineapple will help cut down on the prep time.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 small pineapple peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, jalapeno, and cilantro and toss to combine. Add the lime juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Jacobi, Dana. “Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa.” Good for You: easy, healthy recipes for every day. Weldon Owen, Inc. and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. San Francisco, California. 2013.