Salad of the Week: Lobster Salad with Bibb Lettuce, Apple, and Tarragon Dressing
May 13, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Lobster Salad with Bibb Lettuce, Apple, and Tarragon DressingRhea’s Rundown
Buttery Bibb lettuce combines with rich lobster salad and creamy tarragon dressing in this fantastic 20-minute dish. Granny smith apples and shallots add delightful crunch and flavor. Whole Foods does not have live whole lobsters, they only have lobster tails, and so I got my lobster from Giant. Then I put my boyfriend to work with the de-shelling process. It’s the only tricky aspect of this dish, and it’s definitely worth the extra effort.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher slat and freshly ground pepper
- ½ pound fresh cook lobster meat, torn into bite sized pieces; lump crabmeat picked over for cartilage and shell fragments; or peeled shrimp
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 1 head butter (Bibb) lettuce, cored and separated into leaves
1. Core and quarter the apple, then cut the quarters lengthwise into slices about 1/8 inch thick. Put in a small bowl, toss with the lemon juice, and set aside.
2. In another small bowl, toss the shallots with the olive oil, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, toss the lobster meat with the yogurt. Add the apple and shallots, along with any liquid left in the bowls, and the tarragon and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the lettuce and toss to mix.
4. To serve, arrange the salad on individual plates, dividing it evenly. Finish with a few grinds of black pepper. Serve right away.
Sussman, Eli & Max. “Lobster Salad with Bibb Lettuce, Apple, and Tarragon Dressing.” The Best Cookbook Ever. Weldon Owen, Inc. and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. San Francisco, California. 2013.