Gluten Free Recipe: Avocado Chicken Salad in a Half Shell
May 20, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
When I heard that this week’s theme is avocados my mouth started watering. Delicious! I don’t think one can go wrong adding them to almost any dish – or dessert. Invite me to a dinner party, there’s a good chance I’ll show up with guacamole, even if the theme is Chinese food. You can’t go wrong. So I started listing off all my favorite gluten free recipes with avocados and the list was too long for me to pick from. So I called my best friend to ask her for her favorite from the list and she said, “I like them plain.” Well, that didn’t help. (Though I can’t disagree with her.) I then called my dad who told me to remind folks to remove the pit before throwing an avocado in a blender as he knows someone who forgot and that wasn’t a pretty scene…
And then I remembered a recipe I snagged off the California Avocado website. A delicious, simple dish that can make a great main course for a light meal or a delicious appetizer. And as barbeque season heats up, a perfect side dish. What I really love about this recipe is that it needs no substitutions, no alterations. It is gluten free as is!
- 3 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 avocados
- Toss the chicken with ¼ cup of lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add celery, onions, cilantro, bell pepper, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare avocado half-shells (I use a small spoon to scoop out most of the avocado).
- Add the scooped out avocado to the chicken mixture
- Drizzle the remaining lemon juice onto the prepared half-shells to prevent browning and to enhance flavor
- Fill the half-shells with the chicken mixture.
Note: If you use precooked chicken make sure it doesn’t have any additives with gluten. Ingredients to avoid: starch, hydrolyzed plant protein, emulsifiers, flavorings, natural flavorings, stabilizers, HVP, TVP