Heirloom Tomato and Beet Salad
May 27, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This beautiful 15-minute salad (plus the hour to roast the beets) is bursting with color and flavor! Heirloom tomatoes are so good on they’re own that they need little dressing up. Chives, tarragon, shallots, capers, mustard, olive oil and shallots do just the trick for a fresh and light vinaigrette. I tried to cut my beets and smaller tomatoes in a variety of ways for a more fun presentation; the heirloom tomatoes I sliced.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 2 medium-sized red beets
- 2 medium-sized golden beets
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Trim roots and stems from beets. Pierce beets with a fork, and wrap in foil. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool; peel beets and cut into ¼-inch-slices.
3. Combine chives and next 6 ingredients (through mustard) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine mustard mixture; toss to coat. Divide sliced beets and sliced tomatoes evenly among 6 plates. Drizzle each serving with about 3 teaspoons remaining mustard mixture. Top each serving evenly with cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
“Heirloom Tomato and Beet Salad.” Cooking Light: Fresh, Fast, Food; Best Summer Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.