Strawberry and Leek Quesadilla
Jun 10, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Creamy goat cheese and mozzarella compliment sweet strawberries perfectly in this reinvented quesadilla. Sautéed leeks add a subtle dimension of flavor, while a cilantro garnish provides that extra little zing. Sara Forte in her book The Sprouted Kitchen (see last column) received a lot of skepticism when she first put forth this recipe, but to date it is “one of the recipes which has received the most positive feedback after people tried it” (Forte, 150). Give it try and see for yourself! It only takes about 20 minutes to make.
Ingredients – Serves 1
- 1 leek
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 brown rice tortillas
- About 1/3 cup fresh goat cheese
- About 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- About ½ cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
1. Trim the leek, discarding the tough green top, halve vertically, and rinse in the water, making sure to clean out any dirt trapped between the layers. Slice into thin half circles. In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and a pinch of salt and sauté until completely softened and browning the spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer the leeks to a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat ½ teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat in the sauté pan and place one of the tortillas in the pan. Sprinkle the goat cheese, mozzarella, sautéed leeks, strawberries, and a generous amount of pepper evenly over the tortilla, adjusting the quantities of each ingredient according to your taste. Cover with the second tortilla and cook until just browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Brush the remaining ½ teaspoon of oil on the top tortilla, flip, and cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 2 minutes more.
3. Sprinkle the quesadilla with the cilantro, if using, slice into wedges, and enjoy warm.
Forte, Sara. “Strawberry and leek quesadilla.” The Sprouted Kitchen: a tastier take on whole foods. Ten Speed Press, Random House, Inc. New York. 2014. Print.