Spiced Chicken with Grilled Peach Salsa
Jul 08, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This perfect summer meal will only take you 25 minutes to put together. Grilled peaches are the main attraction of this dish, but don’t overlook the spiced chicken. A grind of toasted cumin, fennel, and coriander seeds is combined with lime rind, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper for a sensational chicken rub. The whole thing is topped off with cilantro and purple scallions, if you can get your hands on them. They have a mild, sweet flavor and a beautiful color; but greens onions will do just fine.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 ½ fennel seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lime rind
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons honey, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 3 peaches, pitted and quartered
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large purple scallions or spring onions, thinly sliced
1. Place first 3 ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat; toast, shaking the pan occasionally, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat; coarsely grind spices using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
2. Combine 2 teaspoons spice mixture, lime rind, 2 tablespoons juice, 2 teaspoons honey, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; cook 12 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155°, turning once. Transfer chicken to a plate; let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice each chicken breast across the grain.
4. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add peaches; grill 3 minutes, turning once to mark the cut sides. Transfer peaches to a cutting board; coarsely chop. Transfer peaches and their juices to a large bowl. Add remaining 1 teaspoon spice mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, remaining 2 teaspoons honey, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, cilantro, olive oil, and scallions. Serve chicken with salsa and lime wedges, if desired.
“Spiced Chicken with Grilled Peach Salsa.” Cooking Light: Summer Cookbook. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2014. Print.