Treat of the Week: Slow Cooker Cardamom Rice Pudding with Fresh Peaches
Jul 08, 2015 04:00PM
● By Cate Reynolds
Slow Cooker Cardamom Rice Pudding with Fresh PeachesRhea’s Rundown
This summerized take on a classic comfort dessert is made even easier with the use of a slow cooker. Hands-on time requires 10 minutes and then the slow cooker will do the rest in about 7 hours and 45 minutes. Sweetened rice pudding is flavored with vanilla bean, cardamom, and cinnamon, and topped off with sweet, juicy peaches. You can also try it with summer berries. It’s a no-fuss treat with a texture that’s velvety smooth.
Ingredients – Serves 10
- 8 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Cooking spray
- 3 peaches, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon, ground cinnamon
1. Combine milk, rice, ¾ cup sugar, and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla bean) in a 6-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 ½ hours. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Discard vanilla bean shell and cinnamon stick. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Serve with peach slices, and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
“Slow Cooker Cardamom Rice Pudding with Fresh Peaches.” Cooking Light: Summer Cookbook. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2014. Print.