Grilled Flank Steak with Onions, Avocado, and Tomatoes
Jul 15, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
This 5-ingredient dish is elegantly simple, yet packed with flavor. Beautiful heirloom tomatoes, perfectly ripe avocado, grilled onion, and tender flank steak come together in 30 minutes for an easy summer classic. Balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper are all that’s needed to finish it off. Use different colored heirloom tomatoes for a striking presentation. My favorite steak seasoning is Bosari’s Savory Blend found in the meat section of Whole Foods. I added some fresh parsley and chives for garnish.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 2 medium red onions, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
1. Preheat grill to high heat. Lightly coat onions with cooking spray. Place onions on grill rack; grill 10 minutes on each side or until tender. Place onions in a medium bowl; cover tightly with foil. Keep warm.
2. Lightly coat steak with cooking spray; sprinkle steak with ¾ teaspoon kosher salt and ¾ teaspoon black pepper. Place steak on grill rack; grill 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 3 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
3. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to onions; toss gently to combine. Divide steak evenly among 6 plates; top with ½ cup tomato mixture. Cut avocado wedges in thirds crosswise. Top each serving evenly with avocado.
“Grilled Flank Steak with Onions, Avocado, and Tomatoes.” Cooking Light: Super Simple Cooking. 129 Easiest Recipes Ever. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.