Appetizer of the Week: Tomato and Grilled Zucchini Stacks
Jul 15, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Tomato and Grilled Zucchini StacksRhea’s Rundown
This 30-minute app is fast, fresh, and healthy! It really is as easy as stacking grilled slices of tomato and zucchini and topping it off with ricotta, seasonings, and herbs. It’s a great way to kick off any outdoor gathering this summer!
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 12 ¼-inch-thick slices zucchini (cut on the diagonal from 1 medium zucchini)
- 5 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon sliced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground green peppercorns
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 12 ½-inch-thick slices ripe beefsteak tomato (red, yellow, or a mix)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire. Brush the zucchini slices all over with 1 ½ teaspoon of the olive oil. Grill until lightly browned and barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta with the chives, mint, green peppercorns, and a pinch of sea salt.
3. Season the tomato slices and the grilled zucchini slices on both sides with sea salt and black pepper.
4. To assemble, put a tomato slice each on four plates. Top each with a slice of zucchini. Repeat two more times.
5. Drizzle each stack with 1 teaspoon olive oil, top with a dollop of the ricotta mixture and serve.
“Tomato and Grilled Zucchini Stacks.” Fine Cooking: Grilling. 101 Best Barbecue Recipes. The Taunton Press, Inc. 2014. Print.