Treat of the Week: Pina Colada on a Stick
Jul 29, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Pina Colada on a StickRhea’s Rundown
I love the idea of a deconstructed classic on a stick. This treat brings together some of the best summer flavors: rum-soaked pineapple, coconut, and strawberry. It’s a bit more involved to make (about 5 hours in total), but is sure to leave an impression at any summer gathering!
Ingredients – Serves 12
- 1 ½ cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 envelopes plus 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup white rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 72 chunks
- 18 strawberries, halved lengthwise
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until golden, stirring after 4 minutes. Combine coconut, cream, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (do not boil). Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
3. Place coconut water in a medium bowl; sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand 5 minutes or until solid.
4. Strain coconut milk mixture through a sieve over a bowl, pressing to extract liquid. Discard coconut. Gradually add coconut milk mixture to gelatin mixture, stirring with a whisk. Return mixture to pan; heat over medium heat just until gelatin dissolves (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 4 hours or up to overnight. (The layers should separate naturally.)
5. Combine rum and lime juice in a large zip-top plastic bag; add pineapple, and seal bag. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight, turning bag occasionally.
6. Drain pineapple mixture. Cut coconut mixture into 72 cubes. Thread 2 pineapple chunks, 2 gelée pieces, and 1 strawberry half alternately onto each of 36 skewers.
“Pina Colada on a Stick.” Cooking Light: Fresh, Fast, Food; Best Summer Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.