Salad of the Week: Crab with Asparagus and Heirloom Tomatoes
Aug 12, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Crab with Asparagus and Heirloom TomatoesRhea’s Rundown
Take advantage of the season’s fresh produce with this stunning and wholesome salad. It’s a cornucopia of cucumbers, bell peppers, asparagus, and heirloom tomatoes. Balsamic vinegar, shallots, fresh lime juice, and cilantro make a fantastically fresh dressing. In order to retain some of that wonderful crunch from the asparagus I like to lightly blanche them. Add your favorite rustic bread to round out the meal.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 12 spears asparagus, ends trimmed 2 inches
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 shallots, minced
- 8 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups crabmeat, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 2 cups diced red, yellow or purple bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1. Turn on broiler. Whisk together oil and vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Place asparagus on a baking sheet with sides and spray with cooking spray; roll each spear until fully coated in oil. Broil asparagus 8 to 10 minutes or until spears begin to brown. Remove from baking sheet and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, combine shallots and tomatoes in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine crabmeat, cucumbers and chives. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Place bell peppers in a separate bowl; drizzle with 2 teaspoons reserved vinaigrette; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
3. Place tomato mixture on the bottom of each of 4 plates. Top with a layer of the crab; add a layer of peppers (save some for garnish), then asparagus. Top each with 1 1/2 teaspoons yogurt dressing. Sprinkle with peppers. Spoon remaining vinaigrette over salad.
Taus, Michael. “Crab with Asparagus and Heirloom Tomatoes.” Self. August 2015. Web. July 2006. .