Spicy Flank Steak Tacos with Watermelon Salsa
Aug 19, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
An amalgamation of flavors comes to life in this 40-minute dish. The steak is rubbed with a three-pepper spice, which contrasts wonderfully with the sweetness of the watermelon. Green onions, mint, fresh lime juice, serrano chile add even more flavor, finished off with salty feta cheese crumbles. If you can’t get your hands on flank steak my favorite cut is the flat iron, which I used instead. I also went with soft flour tortillas instead of hard corn tortillas. I prefer the flavor and I think it holds the ingredients together better.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Cooking spray
- 8 green onions, roots trimmed
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh watermelon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, white pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl. Score steak with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern on both sides (1/4 inch deep). Lightly coat steak with cooking spray; sprinkle steak evenly with pepper mixture. Arrange steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes; cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
3. Arrange green onions on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes or until slightly charred and tender.
4. Combine watermelon, mint, juice, oil, chile, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
5. Place tortillas on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly charred. Arrange onions down the center of each tortilla; divide steak, salsa, and cheese evenly among tortillas.
“Spicy Flank Tacos with Watermelon Salsa.” Cooking Light: Fresh, Fast, Food; Best Summer Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.