Drink of the Week: Champagne Mango Margaritas
Sep 02, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Champagne Mango MargaritasRhea’s Rundown
Blend up a tropical soiree with this easy take on a margarita. Champagne and frozen mango, mango nectar, fresh orange and lime juice, and a little simple syrup combine with your favorite tequila and triple sec for chilled mango perfection. (I opted not to use the pequín chile.) Hands-on time is 15 minutes; overall time is an hour and 35 minutes. Champagne mangoes, also known as Ataulfo mangoes, make this drink extra smooth. If not using champagne mangoes compensate with mango nectar. Whole Foods was having a mango shortage when I tried to make this drink so I ended up using frozen mango, which cut down on prep time but needed more sweetening. Lastly, I try to avoid using the microwave as much as possible; you can make the simple syrup on the stove without adding on too much prep time. Multiply the proportions and keep a batch handy in the fridge for later.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup tequila
- ¼ cup mango nectar
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup Triple Sec
- 3 Champagne mangoes, peeled, seeded, chopped, and frozen (about 3 cups)
- 3 dried pequín chiles or chiles de árbol
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lime wedge
1. Combine 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons sugar in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes. Stir until sugar dissolves. Combine sugar mixture, orange juice, and next 6 ingredients (through chiles) in a blender, and process until smooth. Add ice to blender; pulse to combine. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
2. Combine remaining salt and 3/8 teaspoon sugar in a saucer. Rub the rims of 6 glasses with 1 lime wedge; spin rim of each glass in salt mixture to coat. Fill each glass with about 2/3 cup margarita.
“Champagne Mango Margaritas.” Cooking Light: Fresh, Fast, Food; Best Summer Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.