Lemon-Herb Chicken with Blueberry-Balsamic Salsa
Sep 09, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Blueberry-balsamic salsa is delicious, versatile, and packs a flavorful punch. It contrasts wonderfully with the tart lemony flavors in this dish, but can also be used on small toasts with a spread of goat cheese. I opted to keep the chicken thighs intact to cut down on prep time. The chicken needs at least an hour to marinate in the lemon-herb mixture. It is extremely helpful to marinate the chicken overnight. Once the chicken is ready this dish takes about 45 minutes to make.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, each cut into 6 pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño pepper
- Cooking spray
1. Drop garlic through food chute with food processor on; process until chopped. Add parsley and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); process until finely chopped. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt; pulse to combine. Combine herb mixture and chicken in a medium bowl; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Wipe out food processor.
2. Combine ½ cup blueberries, vinegar, and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes or until thickened, pressing with a spoon to break up blueberries. Place blueberry mixture in a medium bowl. Add remaining ½ cup blueberries to food processor; pulse 5 times. Combine chopped blueberries, 1/8 teaspoon salt, onion, and jalapeño pepper with vinegar mixture.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. Thread 6 chicken pieces evenly onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve with blueberry salsa.
“Lemon-Herb Chicken Skewers with Blueberry-Balsamic Salsa.” Cooking Light: Summer Cookbook. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2014. Print.