Salad of the Week: Fig, Tomato, and Sweet Onion Salad
Sep 09, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Fig, Tomato, and Sweet Onion SaladRhea’s Rundown
This simple 20-minute salad is a combination of sweet and savory flavors, and takes advantage of the fast and fleeting fig season. Fresh figs, cherry tomatoes, Vidalia onion, fresh mint, and feta cheese sits atop chopped romaine (I added arugula). A simple dressing of red wine vinegar and olive oil brings it all together.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups quartered fresh figs (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add figs, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and mint; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
“Fig, Tomato, and Sweet Onion Salad.” Cooking Light: Fresh, Fast, Food; Best Summer Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.