Salad of the Week: Kale and Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts
Sep 16, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Kale and Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and WalnutsRhea’s Rundown
This 12-minute salad combines a few classic ingredients for a hearty and wholesome meal. Hard-boiled eggs, beets, walnuts, blue cheese, and red onion combine with baby kale. A simple dressing of buttermilk, white wine vinegar, yogurt, and salt and pepper adds the finishing touch. I couldn’t resist adding a little pancetta from the Wild Mushroom Fettuccine to the mix. If you can’t find Melissa’s baby beets, canned beets are a great alternative. I used Love Beets white wine and balsamic infused baby beets from Whole Foods, which were a cinch!
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 1 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby kale
- ¼ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fat-free buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hard-cooked large eggs, quartered lengthwise
- 1 (8-ounce) package peeled and steamed baby beets, quartered (such as Melissa's)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
1. Combine mint, onion, and kale in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, buttermilk, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle yogurt mixture over kale mixture; toss gently to coat. Arrange eggs and beets over salad; sprinkle with nuts and cheese.
“Kale and Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts.” Cooking Light: Super Simple Cooking. 129 Easiest Recipes Ever. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.