Salad of the Week: Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad
Sep 23, 2015 04:00PM
● By Cate Reynolds
Grilled Shrimp Caesar SaladRhea’s Rundown
Like the scallop dish this recipe utilizes a grill pan, which helps add to the visual presentation for an otherwise plain-looking dish. This simple take on a classic Caesar salad only takes 23 minutes to make. A single anchovy gives the dressing an umami depth of flavor without being over powering. (Don’t remember what umami means? Check out the Drink of the Week from the St. Patrick’s Day Column. My absolute favorite mayonnaise is Just Mayo, which happens to be canola based, and can be found in the dairy section at Whole Foods next to the eggs (it’s refrigerated). Last, but not least, it always helps to have some leftover Parmigianino-Reggiano from this past week’s Wild Mushroom Fettuccine.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- ¼ cup canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, drained and mashed to a paste
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about ¼ cup)
- ½ small garlic clove, minced
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound peeled and deveined extra-large shrimp
- 2 ounces whole-wheat French baguette, cut into 8 slices
- 10-cup baby romaine lettuce
1. Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Combine shrimp and 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 ½ minutes on each side or until well marked and done. Remove shrimp from pan. Brush each side of bread slices with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bread to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until well marked.
3. Add lettuce to mayonnaise mixture; toss well. Divide lettuce mixture evenly among 4 bowls. Divide shrimp and bread evenly among servings.
“Grilled Shrimp Caesar.” Cooking Light: Super Fast! Every Recipe in 25 Minutes or Less. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.