Mushroom Ramen Bowl
Sep 30, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Throw together ramen perfection in just 25 minutes with this easy recipe! I am a huge ramen fanatic and this particular recipe is packed with some of my favorite ingredients: baby bok choy, Chinese egg noodles, specialty mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and soft-boiled eggs, oh my! Soft-boiling eggs can actually be trickier than hard-boiling them, especially if you don’t have the Kitchen Tool of the Week from the No Meat, No Problem Column. You may want to experiment with a single egg first, before committing to all four. Whole Foods carries a chef’s sampler of mushrooms by Mycopia in the produce section. The dried shiitake mushrooms are nearby. They also have the nori sheets in the International section.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 7 cups water, divided
- 5 ounces center-cut bacon (about 8 slices)
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 heads baby bok choy, thinly vertically sliced (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 1 bunch enoki mushrooms, trimmed (about 5 ounces)
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 nori sheets, halved
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
1. Combine 5 cups water, bacon, and shiitake mushrooms in a saucepan; cover. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to saucepan; stir in soy sauce. Keep warm.
2. Bring remaining 2 cups water to a simmer in a Dutch oven. Place eggs in a vegetable steamer. Place steamer in pan over water; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Steam eggs, covered, 6 minutes. Add bok choy to steamer; steam 2 minutes. Set bok choy aside; place eggs in a bowl of ice water. Let eggs stand 1 minute or until slightly cool. Peel and halve eggs.
3. Divide noodles evenly among 4 deep bowls. Top evenly with bok choy, enoki mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. Ladle 1 cup warm broth into each bowl. Arrange nori around edges of bowls. Place 2 egg halves in center of each bowl; top evenly with green onions. Serve immediately.
“Mushroom Ramen Bowl.” Cooking Light: Soups & Stews, 100 Easy + Comforting Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.