Cauliflower Soup with Shiitakes
Sep 30, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Enjoy this velvety smooth cauliflower soup without any of the heavy cream in just 35 minutes or less! The base is a combination of leeks, cauliflower, chicken stock, fresh thyme, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, sherry, and a little milk. Meaty shiitake mushroom adds a little boost of texture. Vegetarians need only substitute vegetable broth in place of the stock.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup thinly sliced leek, white and light green parts only
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower florets (about 1 medium head)
- 1 ½ cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add leek; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes or until leeks are softened, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower, 1 cup and 6 tablespoons stock, ¾ cup water, and thyme. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender. Place cauliflower mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return to saucepan. Stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, milk, butter, and pepper. Keep warm.
2. Thinly slice mushroom caps. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Add remaining 2 tablespoons stock, Worcestershire sauce, and sherry vinegar. Cook 1 minute or until liquid is reduced and syrupy.
3. Spoon about 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with about 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture. Sprinkle evenly with parsley.
“Cauliflower Soup with Shiitakes.” Cooking Light: Soups & Stews, 100 Easy + Comforting Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.