Sep 30, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
I would be remiss if I didn’t include at least one rich, creamy soup. This super simple and homey soup can bring you back to your childhood in an instant (after the 20 minutes or so it takes to make it). Chicken stock, broccoli, yellow onion, carrot, garlic, and half-and-half come together for a soul-nourishing concoction.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 ¾ cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Pour soup into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan. Stir in half-and-half and 2 ounces cheese. Top evenly with remaining cheese and parsley.
“Broccoli-Cheese Soup.” Cooking Light: Soups & Stews, 100 Easy + Comforting Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.